Feb 17, 2014

{Review} Glass Houses by Rachel Caine

Rachel Caine
Pages: 239
Publisher: NAL Jam
Format: Paperback
Source: Library
Age Group: YA
Date Published: January 1, 2006

From the author of the popular Weather Warden series comes the debut of an exciting new series set in Morganville, Texas, where you would be well advised to avoid being out after dark.
College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life, but they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood. Will she be able to face the town's terror or will she drown like everyone else?


I really enjoyed this one. I've been meaning to get into The Morganville Vampires for a long while now, and I'm really glad I did! I love the whole long series thing, so I guess that's what I'll be reading for the next while. Vampires are fun and interesting, and I love all the different takes on them that have been coming out since forever, right? I think Caine's vamps are closest to Holly Black's in the social hierarchy and the characteristics. Although, Glass Houses is a lot lighter than The Coldest Girl in Coldtown

I really loved the plot. It was fast, but not overly so, and crazy interesting and intense. I love the way "vampires exist" is just a thing, and how Claire just has to accept it. It's funny and new (I know this book was written a while ago, just bear with me). I've seen some people upset over the fact that Claire is kind of "immature," which I find kind of silly because she's 16 and she acts like she's 16. I know plenty of super smart people who are super awkward and very young, myself included even though I'm nowhere near Claire's level. She's led a very sheltered life - her parents still decide a lot of things for her. She's young, but not unlikeable. On the contrary. I enjoyed reading about Claire. I think she rocks. 

I love the books where the MC has to go live with a group of new people and learn new things and make friends even though they're young. That's like my favorite thing to read about. I loved Michael and Shane and Eve and the way they all act towards each other and Claire. I love the way they react immediately when Claire shows up with bruises and she's crying and they just want to help because all three of them had been there at one point or another. I love the way Eve is so friendly, despite her described appearance. I love the harsh banter between Eve, Shane, and Claire and the way Michael just puts up with it because they're his friends and he loves them so much. I adore all the chili making and the cooking and the arguing for bathroom rights because they're all still technically teenagers. I love roommates. I love it. It's so fun. Roommates + Vampires = super fun.

So yeah, clearly I loved the first book in this new-to-me series. I've heard a bajillion (scientific term) raving reviews of the series and I'm so excited to get into it now. Highly recommend.


Image and video hosting by TinyPic

2 comments:

  1. I've got the first 11 Morganville books and haven't touched a single one of them yet, not quite sure why as I bought them to read after all and not for them to sit prettily on my bookshelf for the rest of my life. I must say reading this review has encouraged me to pull the first book out and place it in my bedside TBR pile, fingers crossed it makes the cut and gets read soon. Either that or the gap that it leaves on the shelf will annoy me to the point that I put it back to make it looks nice again..... yes, that has happened before.... more than once! xx

    Thea @ Gizzimomo's Book Shelf

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tried this one but didn't get very far and put it down. I have been meaning to give it a try again because everyone I know loves it..hmm must give it another try..lol.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what people think, and commenting lets me know you were here! Speak your minds! (Please :D)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...