Mar 27, 2013

{Review} Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare

Cassandra Clare
Pages: 568
Publisher: Margaret K. McElderry Books
Format: Hardcover
Source: Target
Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3)Date Published: March 19, 2013

Danger and betrayal, secrets and enchantment in the breathtaking conclusion to the Infernal Devices trilogy
Tessa Gray should be happy - aren't all brides happy?
Yet as she prepares for her wedding, a net of shadows begins to tighten around the Shadowhunters of the London Institute.
A new demon appears, one linked by blood and secrecy to Mortmain, the man who plans to use his army of pitiless automatons, the Infernal Devices, to destroy the Shadowhunters. Mortmain needs only one last item to complete his plan. He needs Tessa. And Jem and Will, the boys who lay equal claim to Tessa's heart, will do anything to save her.



DO NOT READ THIS REVIEW IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE FIRST TWO BOOKS


So, I finished this today and I think this review may be more of a tribute to an amazing series rather than a straight up review, because I loved the book and now I'm struggling with the fact that the Infernal Devices are all over. Like, how am I gonna deal with City of Heavenly fire next year? I've been invested in that series since I was 12. BIG THINGS TO THINK ABOUT. 

Anyways, because my brain is a tearful puddle of mush, let's try some bullet points on the things I loved most about this book:

  1. Cecily Herondale- I mean, I know Cassie writes really good ladies, but Cecily is so late to the game that I thought she wouldn't be as fantastic for some reason, but I seriously think she might be my favorite. She's hilarious and outgoing, like her brother, with the same eloquent way of speaking. She takes Will & Gabriel to task all the time and I was so impressed with her! Much like Izzy is my fave in TMI, I think Cecily is my new favorite in TID.
  2. Character Development- It was really interesting to see Will progress as he becomes accustomed to being able to be around other people and not push them away. In the beginning it's really difficult for him, but he blossoms as the book progresses. Tessa changed a ton, too, but that's harder to explain without spoilery spoilers.
  3. Henry Branwell- I seriously think I am in love with Charlotte's husband. He's so delightfully clueless, and yet he sees more than any of the other shadowhunters ever have. He's just adorable and so nice to everyone. I think we really got to get to know him better in this book than we ever did. 
  4. PLOT- Goodness, I can't tell you about this one because I'll have too difficult of a time not to be spoilery, but I can say that the plot in this one is possibly better than the other two. It's fast and developed and interesting and it raises questions that better be answered in City of Heavenly Fire!
  5. The Epilogue- I have a love/hate relationship with the epilogue. Cassie told us before the book came out that it was set in '08, and it wraps the novel up both nicely and cruelly and leaves you with more questions than you had before about different things. It's just alksjdfsfnjks. Yeah.
  6. Family Names- So we meet like all the shadowhunter families, and I couldn't help but compare them to the ones in TMI and the yet to be published (or written?) TDA. I loved seeing all the ancestors of my favorite characters.
  7. DEMON POX- really there isn't much more to be said on the subject.
  8. Will Herondale- I just, he was always my favorite. In all of the books, he remained my favorite, and he did not disappoint.
  9. Everything, because this book was genius.

I really am struggling to comprehend that one of my favorite series is over. I'm gonna have to start from the beginning again. I just love this final book so much, and I really hope to see more Tessa in the future. Crossing my fingers for TDA (is it possible to be this excited about a book series that is that far away?)

Are you a fan of Cassie's books? Have you read the first two books? (YOU BETTER HAVE BECAUSE I SPOILED THINGS FOR YOU IF YOU DIDN'T)

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1 comment:

  1. Great review! I know - I can't believe it's over! Such a perfect end to the series. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what people think, and commenting lets me know you were here! Speak your minds! (Please :D)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...