Mar 9, 2013

[ARC Review] The Eternity Cure by Julie Kagawa

The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2)
Julie Kagawa
Pages: 446
Publisher: Harlequin Teen
Format: eGalley
Source: NetGalley
Age Group: Young Adult
Expected Publication: April 23, 2013

Allison Sekemoto has vowed to rescue her creator, Kanin, who is being held hostage and tortured by the psychotic vampire Sarren. The call of blood leads her back to the beginning—New Covington and the Fringe, and a vampire prince who wants her dead yet may become her wary ally.
Even as Allie faces shocking revelations and heartbreak like she’s never known, a new strain of the Red Lung virus that decimated humanity is rising to threaten human and vampire alike.




So, I took the SAT today (I feel as though it went well, thank you for asking), and I'm just going to apologize in advance for any rambling or incoherent tangents. 

Right of the bat you need to know I love Julie Kagawa. I have never read a book of hers that I haven't mercilessly devoured and then begged for seconds. The Eternity Cure was no different. It was fast-paced and dark and wonderful. I love how these Blood of Eden books have so much more story in them than a lot of other YA books. Really, Kagawa could cut the books somewhere in the middle and make the series longer and sell more books and that would live up to convention and we'd all love them just the same but no. She gives us a crap-load of story and emotion and wonderful development things and then manages to cliffhanger the ending and make me (the poor sucker of a reader) want more, and that is the genius of this series. The books are super long, but not arduous and bogged down with description and things I hate. 

I really love the development of the characters as the book progresses. I've always loved Allie, and she grows and matures as she begins to see what it really means to be a vampire and the fact that she'll live forever starts to get at her. Jackal (the raider king from the first book) is back, and you want to hate him so bad, but it's just not that simple and it's just such genius. Like, he comes off as snarky and sarcastic and even Allie has a hard time figuring out how to treat him because he's so darn likeable in that jerky kind of way. As the reader, you can just feel her struggle with him as they have to travel together for a good portion of the book. And we get to see some more of Kanin, who is just as stoic as before but he's less teacherly. 

And Zeke! Zeke's back and he's such a cutie that you just have to love him. He and Allie have their relationship issues (she did ditch him) but he's so essentially good that I can't help but adore the guy. He takes care of everybody, even the people he doesn't know all that well and aww so cute. He's such a contrast to the darkness of their world and the vampires around him. He's blond too, so I just see him as this little ray of sunshine (even though he threatens to kill several people... er really just one but whatever). And he has weapons and I just really like him okay?

Now, the cover. I'm not sure I'm so in love with the cover of this one, because it doesn't match the cover of The Immortal Rules (there is another cover on Goodreads, but it's not the one that's on the egalley and I just don't know). See:
  
The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) The Eternity Cure (Blood of Eden, #2) The Eternity Cure The Eternity Cure

(Book 1, American version, Australian, and British)

The Aussie one's my favorite because it matches the first book so nicely. But, I'm okay with our cover, because it definitely is pretty, it just doesn't match! (unless they're gonna do a series makeover... which they did with The Immortal Rules paperback.)

The Immortal Rules by Julie Kagawa

Anyways, the only thing I'm not in love with about this book is the cover, and my issue with it has apparently been resolved. Obviously a 5 'stache book!!!


          
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1 comment:

  1. Great review :)
    I'm so excited about this book. I can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear what people think, and commenting lets me know you were here! Speak your minds! (Please :D)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...